Have you ever been in a relationship that was out of balance? It probably began normally, but somewhere along the way, it became all about the other person. Their happiness, their well-being, and their needs had to be met first, and what you wanted or needed didn't seem to matter. But the odd thing was, you stayed awhile or maybe are still in this type of relationship. This could be because of codependency. Codependency is a common issue that can affect anyone, but the good news is that you can overcome it. In this blog post, we'll go over what codependency is, and I will share some practical steps to break free from it and regain control of your life.
What is Codependency?
Codependency is a complex pattern of behaviors and emotions that often develop in relationships where one person consistently puts the needs of the other before their own. It can manifest in various ways, but some common signs of codependency include:
1. Excessive People-Pleasing: You might find yourself constantly doing things for others, even if it means sacrificing your needs and desires.
2. Difficulty Setting Boundaries: You may struggle with saying "no" and setting healthy boundaries in your relationships, fearing it will upset or disappoint others.
3. Fear of Abandonment: You might go to great lengths to avoid being alone or fear rejection and abandonment by loved ones.
4. Losing Your Identity: Codependency can lead to losing your sense of self as you become overly focused on the needs and wants of others.
Can you beat codependency?
How to Beat Codependency
1. Self-Awareness: The first step is recognizing that you're in a codependent situation. Self-awareness is crucial for any personal growth journey. Take some time to reflect on your behavior and emotions in your relationships. Are you consistently putting others' needs before your own? Are you afraid to be alone? If so, you may have some codependent tendencies.
2. Seek Support: It's essential to reach out for help. This could be in the form of a therapist, counselor, life coach, or a trusted friend or family member. They can provide guidance, encouragement, and a safe space to discuss your feelings and experiences.
3. Establish Boundaries: Learning to set and maintain healthy boundaries is key to overcoming codependency. Practice saying "no" when you need to and respect your limits. It's not selfish to prioritize your well-being.
4. Self-Care: Invest time in self-care activities that promote your physical and emotional health. This could include exercise, meditation, journaling, or pursuing hobbies and interests that make you happy.
5. Boost Self-Esteem: Work on improving your self-esteem by recognizing your worth independent of others' opinions. Self-affirmations, self-compassion, and positive self-talk can help with this.
6. Independence: Focus on reclaiming your independence and personal identity. Reconnect with your interests and values. Rediscover who you are outside of your relationships.
7. Communication: Open, honest, and assertive communication is key. Express your needs, wants, and feelings in a healthy way, without fear of rejection or judgment.
8. Take Small Steps: Overcoming codependency is a process that takes time. Don't rush it. Be patient with yourself and celebrate your progress, no matter how small.
Codependency is a challenging pattern to break, but with self-awareness, and support, you can overcome it. Remember that you deserve happiness and healthy relationships just as much as anyone else. By taking these steps, you can reclaim your independence and build more fulfilling connections with others while maintaining your well-being. Don't be afraid to seek help when needed; it's a sign of strength and a crucial part of the healing process.
I hope you found this mini-guide helpful. If you have questions or need more info. please reach out.
Dealing with grief can be a difficult and overwhelming process. Knowing what to expect and how to take care of yourself can make the grieving process a bit easier. This worksheet will outline the stages of grief and provide tips on self-care.
Stage 1: Denial
Remember, grief is a unique and personal experience. The stages outlined in this worksheet are a general guide, and everyone's experience may be different. Be patient with yourself, and remember that healing takes time.
How many things did you put off doing last year?
Make a list and begin working on those "things" now.
It's never too late to live your best life!
PS: If you need help getting these plans off the ground, I'm here!
In 2023 we will see a lot more at-home anti-aging treatments, new fitness trends, personal healing, and so much more. I wanted to share a trend I feel we will see more of in 2023 - Creative Expression as a tool for personal healing.
With the recent popularity of journaling and morning pages, people are embracing expressing their emotions, processing traumas, and creating healthy lifestyle habits. But in 2023, you will see it go one step further with an increase in creative emotional expression. Not just in writing, but in many forms of art, from painting and pottery, to music and dancing.
This is a wonderful energy shift. As we embrace our personal healing and work towards processing emotions rather than running away from them, we shift the energy of our communities and the earth.
Need a break? This quick and easy to follow guided meditation can help you find peace and balance as you relax.
Have you been shamed for having toxic experiences? Like somehow you "Asked for it?"
Trust me, no one decides to do this.
Toxic people aren't picky and YOU aren't attracting them. If you have a large amount of toxic people in your life its due to NOT having good boundaries, rather than your behavior. You didn't attract them or somehow "deserve" these lessons.
Work on your boundaries and they will disappear like magic.
You got this!
I hope you are having a fantastic week!
I have created a short and easy to follow new checklist to support you in finding more gratitude. Download this pdf and use it to shift your mindset.
It here on our podia site.
Grab it before it goes away!
"Bad energy," "negative energy," or bad vibes are used universally to describe people or situations that make us feel apprehensive, uncomfortable, or anxious.
But what does that mean?
Very few people can see energy, but almost all of us can feel or sense it on some level. Everything around us is made of energy; the earth, the cosmos, and our bodies are all made of energy. This energy is in flux all the time; it is constantly moving and shifting. We are impacted by what we consume; eat, drink, watch, and engage in, which also happens to the people around us.
This energy is flowing around us constantly, through our homes, influencing the people we spend time with, coating our possessions, affecting our health, and the list goes on and on.
So when you hear someone talking about a "vibe," they are speaking about a feeling. For example, you might go to the market, and as you are paying for your purchase, you interact with a person and get an odd vibe from them, or you might also really connect with someone and feel a good vibe from them like a kindred soul, someone you resonate with and want to get to know. This feeling isn't based on appearance but on the person's energy.
Have you ever gone to a meeting or to visit a friend and walked into a room and felt the energy is "off"? People's moods can have an instant effect on the whole vibe of a room. The vibration felt, bad or good, can then influence your interaction and even your mood. (This is especially true for empaths.)
How To Know If Your House Has Negative Energy
Ideally, your home is a peaceful sanctuary for you and your family. It should be your safe place: a place to relax and unwind and a place to restore your energy. Your home should be both a reflection of yourself as well a place to nurture your spirit.
But if your house doesn't feel that way, it might signal you need to work on clearing the stagnant energy before it becomes harmful.
Signs the energy is negative include:
Constantly arguing, complaining, criticizing, or feel trapped when you are home. Feeling sad, anxious, or unsafe at home are also signs the vibe is out of balance. Unhealthy relationships under your roof are also an indication that the energy is off.
Too much clutter, trash, or chaos can also lead to negative energy. An area where people are constantly ill, plants won't grow, pets run away, or people don't like to spend time is also a sign of negative energy.
Don't get me wrong; everyone can have off days or days things don't work out. I'm talking about more bad days than good. It's essential to understand this difference and not jump to conclusions.
If you need some assistance clearing stuck energy or suspect your energy has become off or even harmful, I'm here to help.
In the middle of a spiritual test?
When you think you can't go on
When too much is happening
When you feel so NOT ready
It's time to heal yourself…
Make yourself the focus.
Stop "getting by to get by" and focus on personal living.
You are in the present
You stop the distractions and the self-loathing.
You become your focus, not an afterthought.
And realize you are in the middle of a Spiritual awakening.
Let go of the past
And find the will to go on,
Move forward with compassion.
You expand who you are on all levels.
Know that you will find the power to do whatever you need to do
The power is there,
It's always been there, but you never accepted it.
You were tricked into not believing you were not worthy
Or that somehow you had to "acquire" what you already possess.
You were manipulated to feel small, but it was never true.
Every time you gave up, a new door opened.
The process began again.
But now, you must grab your power.
No one can give it to you; you must own it.
You are the artist of this dream
The creator of your life, and now you must
Pick up the brush and begin to create your masterpiece.
You must release the illusion of being alone,
Of being separate or
Of being not enough.
You are part of the Universe.
Part of the Collective
Part of Source energy.
And You are FUCKING amazing.
"My zone of genius is around mentoring, guiding and coaching inspired, creative, conscious and spiritual entrepreneurs and individuals to connect with their deepest desires and values so they can rise with grace. I believe in treating the "whole person" and with simple energetic shifts they can reach their highest potential and serve from a place of inner peace and fulfillment."
“If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?”
― Maya Angelou
"Every day is a new beginning, choose wisely."
-Sarah Parker Thomas
“We are all a work in progress.
And the possibilities are endless.”
Sarah Parker Thomas